Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Love of Reading

One of my goals this year (and really every year) is getting kids to LOVE to read. Not forced, adult-picks-for-you reading, but a true genuine love for reading.
Two things I'm working on include a collective sharing of books - one on a bulletin board that the kids and I will decorate with spines of the books we read (probably on oaktag, I haven't started it yet, but have the skeletons of the board up now) and one with a collective book count. Since I am teaching four English classes this year, I will include all 4 classes and make it a team effort. One of my colleagues had a GREAT idea to start a student created book blog. We hope to collaboratively get it running this year. These books can provide a starting ground for us.
My hope is that we will use these "shelves" all year long to display the books we read independently. This will become a resource for kids to find their next book. 
I made this in word and turned it into a PDF for printing. I'm going to put it in a glass frame and hang it next to my class objectives. I will post a pic once it's up! 


1 comment: